Design Theory Framework for the Science of Security (DEFSYS)
Mathematics for Testing, Reliability and Information Security (MATRIS) was founded to facilitate the connection between discrete mathematics, computer science in general and, in particular, the interplay with information security. The group has positioned itself within SBA Research to serve as a major long-term vision of the center with regard to the successful development of real-world applications as well as necessary for the advancement of theoretical approaches and methodologies. More information about the group here: https://matris.sba-research.org/ SBA Research is a research center for Information Security funded partly by the national initiative for COMET Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies. Within a network of more than 70 companies, 15 Austrian and international universities and research institutions, and many additional international research partners we jointly work on research challenges ranging from organizational to technical security to strengthen Europe’s Cybersecurity capabilities.
AbouT THE POSITION
The goal of the DEFSYS research program is to develop a mathematical framework using in particular methods from the field of combinatorial design theory for modelling problems arising in information security, software engineering, finance, as well as disaster research (natural and man-made). The advertised research position will be integrated into and contribute to the research activities of the DEFSYS research team as part of the MATRIS research group. A major focus of DEFSYS research is modelling problems using mathematical methods. This core task is embedded within research activities such as data analysis and information extraction, structure discovery and simulation as well as empirical experimentation and case studies.
The research position will be operating as part of and in collaboration with the DEFSYS team as part of MATRIS focusing on applied discrete mathematics.
Requirements & Desirable Skills
- Bachelor degree in software engineering, computer science, mathematics, or related discipline (University, Fachhochschule) or any equivalent credentials that corroborate experience in the previous mentioned fields, especially with regard to mathematical modelling (of any kind)
- Interest in applying mathematics to real-world problems and challenges via a multi-disciplinary approach
- Proficiency in commonly used research IT (programming languages, computer algebra software, Win/Linux, virtualization, LaTeX, version control, etc.)
- Working language of the group is English
- Great team player
what we offer
- Working as part of a world-renowned research group with great experience
- Exposure to a network of excellent scientific and company partners, interlocking academia and industry
- The project assistant will be closely mentored and monitored by senior researchers of the MATRIS research group
- Option to explore further joint academic career advancement, e.g., by employment as junior researcher position (Master/PhD Student)
- An attractive working environment and a friendly and colloquial work atmosphere
- Full- or part-time employment
- Highly flexible working hours
An overview of the current research projects of the group can be found here: https://matris.sba-research.org/projects/#current . For an application for these positions, please send your application with your CV and motivation letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. For informal queries, please write to MATRIS group leader Dimitris Simos at email@example.com.