Combinatorial Security Testing (CST)
Mathematics for Testing, Reliability and Information Security (MATRIS) was founded to facilitate the connection between discrete mathematics, computer science in general and, in particular, the interplay with information security. The group has positioned itself within SBA Research to serve as a major long-term vision of the center with regard to the successful development of real-world applications as well as necessary for the advancement of theoretical approaches and methodologies. More information about the group can be found here: https://matris.sba-research.org/
SBA Research is a research center for Information Security funded partly by the national initiative for COMET Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies. Within a network of more than 70 companies, 15 Austrian and international universities and research institutions, and many additional international research partners we jointly work on research challenges ranging from organizational to technical security to strengthen Europe’s Cybersecurity capabilities.
AbouT THE POSITION
The position is focused on research regarding practical software security and conformance testing based on combinatorial testing, a model-based methodology that offers mathematically guaranteed coverage of the input space. The project assistant will be closely mentored and monitored by senior researchers of the team.
The filled position will become part of the CST research team focused on combinatorial security testing and enhancing its applications to practical testing workflows.
• Apply combinatorial security testing to new domains such as protocol testing and/or enhance existing testing solutions with combinatorial methods
• Devise and implement tool-assisted modelling techniques that can be integrated into real-world software development workflows
• Construct automated test oracles that report whether a system under test exhibits a vulnerability
- Bachelor or master student in IT security, software engineering, computer science, or related disciplines (Uni, FH; for bachelors: 2nd semester/STEOP completed) or any equivalent credentials that prove seniority on the previous aspects especially in software engineering
- Basic knowledge about information security and common classes of vulnerabilities (buffer overflows, injection vulnerabilities, logical denial of service, etc)
- Capacity and interest in exploring new research topics in software security
- Good scripting and data analysis skills
- Working language of the group is English
- Capacity for teamwork
- Interest in a multi-disciplinary thematic working area
- Inquisitive mindset
- Practical software development experience
- Experience with creating documents in LaTeX
what we offer
- A world-renowned team of experienced researchers
- A network of excellent scientific and company partners interlocking of academia and economy
- The project assistant will be closely mentored and monitored by senior researchers of the team.
- Option to further employment as junior researcher position (Master/PhD Student) in case the interest arises
- An attractive working environment, flat hierarchy and a friendly and colloquial work atmosphere
- Full- or part-time employment
- Highly flexible working hours
An overview of the current research projects of the group can be found here: https://matris.sba-research.org/projects/#current . For an application for these positions, please send your application with your CV and motivation letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. For informal queries, please write to MATRIS group leader Dimitris Simos at email@example.com.