Combinatorial Algorithms, Arrays and Optimization (CALGO)
Mathematics for Testing, Reliability and Information Security (MATRIS) was founded to facilitate the connection between discrete mathematics, computer science in general and, in particular, the interplay with information security. The group has positioned itself within SBA Research to serve as a major long-term vision of the center with regard to the successful development of real-world applications as well as necessary for the advancement of theoretical approaches and methodologies. More information about the group here: https://matris.sba-research.org/ SBA Research is a research center for Information Security funded partly by the national initiative for COMET Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies. Within a network of more than 70 companies, 15 Austrian and international universities and research institutions, and many additional international research partners we jointly work on research challenges ranging from organizational to technical security to strengthen Europe’s Cybersecurity capabilities.
AbouT THE POSITION
The position has a focus on discrete mathematics and theoretical computer science and their applications for problems arising in (software) engineering. The project assistant will be closely mentored and monitored by senior researchers of the team.
The position has a focus on discrete mathematics and theoretical computer science and their applications for problems arising in (software) engineering.
The filled position will become part of the CALGO research team focused on combinatorial algorithms and optimization.
• Abstract and formalize problems coming from applied computer science in terms of discrete mathematics (DM) or theoretical computer science (TCS)
• Find adequate solutions techniques for the abstracted problems by creating new or using existing knowledge of DM or TCS
• Realizing these solution techniques by implementing them in optimized algorithms
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer science, mathematics, or related discipline (Uni, FH) or any equivalent credentials that prove seniority on the previous aspects especially in software engineering
- Interest in applying mathematics to real-world problems of (computer) engineering and information security in particular
- Proficient in at least one programming language
- The capacity to study new areas of DM or TCS
- Working language of the group is English
- Capacity for teamwork
- Interest in a multi-disciplinary thematic working area
- High motivation
- Knowledge of computer algebra systems such as Maple, Mathematica or GAP (Groups, Algorithms, Programming)
- LaTeX programming
what we offer
- A world-renowned team of experienced researchers
- A network of excellent scientific and company partners interlocking of academia and economy
- The project assistant will be closely mentored and monitored by senior researchers of the team.
- Option to further employment as junior researcher position (Master/PhD Student) in case the interest arises
- An attractive working environment, flat hierarchy and a friendly and colloquial work atmosphere
- Full- or part-time employment
- Highly flexible working hours
An overview of the current research projects of the group can be found here: https://matris.sba-research.org/projects/#current . For an application for these positions, please send your application with your CV and motivation letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. For informal queries, please write to MATRIS group leader Dimitris Simos at email@example.com.